Antwerp, Belgium - 6 August, 2008.
Hyperion Entertainment is very pleased to announce that Amiga OS 4.1 has gone "gold" and should be available through dealers mid August. Building on the solid foundations of Amiga OS 4.0, Amiga OS 4.1 introduces a wealth of substantial new functionality which is a prerequisite for the deployment of industry standard applications on the Amiga platform.
Updated non-exhaustive feature-list of Amiga OS 4.1:
- Intelligent memory paging
- Hardware compositing engine (Radeon R1xx and R2xx family)
- Implementation of the "Cairo" device-independent 2D rendering library
- Reworked P96 with improved overlay support
- Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) support for greater digital camera compatibility
- JXFS filesystem with the support for drives and partitions of multiple terabyte size
- Improved Workbench functionality
- New and improved DOS functionality (full 64 bit support, universal notification support, automatic expunge and reload of updated disk resources)
- Improved 3D hardware accelerated screen-dragging
- Reworked AmiDock with true transparency
- Choice between several GUI themes including Amiga OS 4.0 and Amiga OS 4.1 default themes
- Powerful and user-friendly installation utility
- Reworked Warp3D Radeon drivers with new functionality
- Improved OpenGL support through MiniGL 2.0
- And much, much more.
Required hardware: AmigaOne (for now)
Required graphics card for hardware compositing: Radeon 1xx or Radeon 2xx
Recommended graphics card: Radeon 9250
Amiga OS 4.1 will ship in a cardboard package with a printed Quick Start Guide.